Sticky

Music and headphones FAQs


Userlevel 4
Badge +6
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 16813 replies
Hi all,

For music and headphones related questions/problems, please see first the following FAQs:

How to?


How do I pair the TomTom headphones to my watch?

How do I back up the music on my watch?

What audio file formats can my music GPS watch play?

Does my music GPS watch work with streaming music services?

Troubleshooting



Headphone compatibility for your GPS music watch

Why do I get audio dropouts with my music GPS watch?

I lost the preinstalled music on my watch. How do I get it back?

Also, please note that watches with music sold in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand and Latin America, include a continuous mix of 11 great tracks made by Ministry of Sound in a playlist of 38 minutes. The track is called Running Trax.

Watches with music sold in the US and Canada, include a single 3 minute track. The playlist is called TomTom Demo and the song is Lovin Me.

I lost accessories that came with my TomTom Headphones

My music GPS watch is corrupted. What do I do?

For more information, see also the user guide.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Mikko

99 replies

My phone is Jabra Sports. My watch version is 1.1.19. Before the software version updated, they paired well. But now it is very hard to pair. The chance to pair them successfully is about 1/10. Very frustrating. I am buying a Plantronics BackBeat FIT. Hopefully it could work better. But anyway, I don't understand why TOMTOM team is not able to make things easier to use. Is the pair issue very hard to be resolved? So many people have the pair issue. And music is the highlight of this watch! I think TOMTOM is ruining the reputation!
Userlevel 1
Plantronics Backbeat Fit works very well....
I bought a Plantronics BB fit as recommended. It works well now. Now I have no trouble to use this watch I believe. But I am not happy. Because I spent extra $127 dollars for this extra Bluetooth headphone. No good.
Hi,

I bought the Cardio+Music including the headphones.
I'm very happy with the watch but I regret buying the headphones.
Like other people my experience is that the quality isn't good; stuttering and bad sound quality.
Personally i think that all the discussion here about wearing the watch on which arm says it all: it should not matter at all!
It says only that the reciever of the bluetooth signal is very weak.
I'm very pleased that I solved the problem.
First I took my 'old' philips wired sport headphones that i was using when I was running with my smartphone.
Second I bought this bluetooth receiver: http://www.outdoortechnology.com/Shop/Adapt/
Here in Holland it was available at futurumshop.nl for about 30 euros.
I mounted the adapter on my philips headset (see image). It works fine! No stuttering, clear sound, good bass. Hope this helps some of you here! PS I think that Tomtom should refund all te people that bought the spark 2 (cardio+) music with the stock headphones. I can't be true that a company brings a product with this poor quality on te market!
Pros- nice to leave phone behind, quick GPS pick up, heart rate monitor pretty spot on, waterproof, streams music (kind of), status are accurate

Cons- Bluetooth interface is spotty, depends where you are but Bluetooth will drop headset quickly, battery life drained in 2 hours after run and lift session, loading music from PC, app is not great compared to Fitbit etc, no phone notification available when in range,
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Hi Stiefel67,

Welcome to the forum!

Did you use the same music files in your tests? We've found a problem with the the watch handles file names and this will be addressed in the next software update.

I'd recommend you to report this to Customer Service and provide copies of some of the files you have problems with.

Cheers, Mikko
I only tested with the on-board running trax song
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Stiefel67 wrote:

I only tested with the on-board running trax song



Thanks for the confirmation!

Please, contact Customer Service for further investigation.

Cheers, Mikko
Hi,

What do you mean by 'further investigation'. I posted my solution that works fine. I have no further questions except that it would be nice to have some kind of compensation 🙂
The Liger XS2 work perfectly, any wrist, with the watch. At £24 they don't break the bank and the sound is very good, and comfy to wear during exercise too....
Power Beats 2 seem to work fine on either wrist. Hasn't cut out yet.
Using iLuv FitActive Air. Can pair with my Sparks Music + Cardio. However, no sound, no audio. Using the headphone control, can pause, skip or previous song though. Can hear occasion bits of songs but most times silent. Please advise.
Userlevel 2
AbsoluteBeginner wrote:

Using iLuv FitActive Air. Can pair with my Sparks Music + Cardio. However, no sound, no audio. Using the headphone control, can pause, skip or previous song though. Can hear occasion bits of songs but most times silent. Please advise.



You are out of luck. Customer support will tell you to reset your watch, then will tell you that you don't have "compatible" headphones.

Here in the forum there may not be a solution yet, but responsiveness and friendliness of staff much better.

This headphones/bluetooth situation is being tracked here, and it seems TomTom tech team is working on improving things:

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/spark-and-runner-2-473/connecting-the-runner-2-to-the-headset-991369

In case you do want to use your watch with music anytime soon, you better buy a new pair of headphones. For a cheap but decent pair of headphones that work, try the Mpow Swift. Keep in mind that if you have problems, these are not "compatible" headphones for TomTom...
Is there a way to change songs while running?

I found I can pause my workout and select a different playlist, but I just want to go to the next song?

Anyone figured this out yet?
If it's the builtin music Running Trax then no as it's just a 40 minute mix, not separate tracks. But if you add another one with separate tracks I just do mine from my headphones or to do it on the watch go to the playlist area while its playing and hit the left button that should bring up the current song, you can then go left or right to go back/next track then go and hit up to get back to the playlist area.
#RussNZ Thanks. I've added a playlist with multiple tracks and can select different songs. But what about when your working out? It seems when I'm running I can't navigate from from the displayed metrics (dist., pace, etc.) back to the playlist without pausing my workout.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
OldRunner wrote:

#RussNZ Thanks. I've added a playlist with multiple tracks and can select different songs. But what about when your working out? It seems when I'm running I can't navigate from from the displayed metrics (dist., pace, etc.) back to the playlist without pausing my workout.



You have to control the music using the headphones, there are no music controls on the watch during an activity (in part because all of the buttons are already in use for something else but I understand they are working on this). All you are able to do is pause, press down and change the playlist while in an activity.
What about the Mpow Cheetah Sport model? Will they work ok? I prefer the kind that wrap around the ear for running. Any thoughts?
I wear my watch on the left wrist if that makes a difference.
Thanks in advance !
Dear all, i know this hurts as we come to realise that we gotta splash out additional cash to get ourselves a compatible ear/headphone. (And they all dun come cheap!)
My slightly cheaper alternative while waiting for tomtom to resolve this longstanding issue is to purchase a sony walkman waterproof earphones with built in 8gb of internal memory for music. Its a whole lot easier to transfer music as it only involves dragging and dropping and most importantly, it is cheap. Im getting it at less than 100 singapore dollars. That is less than a hundred euros or us dollars too. Hope this helps.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
jiannshan wrote:

Dear all, i know this hurts as we come to realise that we gotta splash out additional cash to get ourselves a compatible ear/headphone. (And they all dun come cheap!)
My slightly cheaper alternative while waiting for tomtom to resolve this longstanding issue is to purchase a sony walkman waterproof earphones with built in 8gb of internal memory for music. Its a whole lot easier to transfer music as it only involves dragging and dropping and most importantly, it is cheap. Im getting it at less than 100 singapore dollars. That is less than a hundred euros or us dollars too. Hope this helps.



Most people here report issues with a limited list of expansive headphones and assume that the issue comes from the watch... Actually, the problem is probably with these headphones themselves, since I noticed through my experience and through the forums that most cheap headphones actually work like a charm (think no name stuff you get from ebay or at your local store or in airports for 20/30bucks...):

I know for a fact that some companies (polar, suunto) modify the bluetooth protocol in their cardio belts both in order to make "improvements" (actually limit some functions when 3rd party belts are used with their gear 😛 ), so I guess some higher end companies in the audio industry also have modified some stuff in the transmission protocol in order to make some form of improvements...

Tomtom will probably manage to fix the issues for these few but high profile headphones... in the meantime, if you have issues, I think the best is to actually try a pair of cheaper headphones, not to get even more expensive gear! 😉
Userlevel 2
gl00 wrote:


Most people here report issues with a limited list of expansive headphones and assume that the issue comes from the watch... Actually, the problem is probably with these headphones themselves, since I noticed through my experience and through the forums that most cheap headphones actually work like a charm (think no name stuff you get from ebay or at your local store or in airports for 20/30bucks...):

I know for a fact that some companies (polar, suunto) modify the bluetooth protocol in their cardio belts both in order to make "improvements" (actually limit some functions when 3rd party belts are used with their gear 😛 ), so I guess some higher end companies in the audio industry also have modified some stuff in the transmission protocol in order to make some form of improvements...

Tomtom will probably manage to fix the issues for these few but high profile headphones... in the meantime, if you have issues, I think the best is to actually try a pair of cheaper headphones, not to get even more expensive gear! ;)



Thanks for your opinion, but it still doesn't explain why TomTom's own bundled headphones only work properly when the watch in on the left wrist. What improvements did TomTom do in their own headphones ? And how come, according to their own list of recommended headphones, only ONE set of headphones work with all functions and on both wrists ? I can tell you, by professional experience, that a product manager would definitely be in deep trouble if he approved to knowingly release their own branded headphones not working properly for all features under the most usual conditions ...

The problem comes from the watch. No doubt about it anymore, read the replies in this thread. TomTom may be have been able to determine what is causing it (some bluetooth protocol implementation problem, some wrongly setup chip antenna, etc..), and hopefully it is working on a solution. I have 4 (four) sets of headphones and two Spark watches, and ALL had problems with the TomTom watch, but curiously, they ALL work with other watches, phones, tablets, laptops... It doesn't seem like they are some strangely expensive or cheap headphones, with some very specific bluetooth implementation or "improvements", if they have worked for over a year in at least 10 other devices, INCLUDING another watch.

I am glad you have had a great experience with your TomTom Spark and whatever headphones you bought in the airport (I didn't get what headphones you are using with your watch, could you share so we keep a list of those that work?), but there are quite some customers having clear issues with this (not to mention other problems, go check the step distance calibration, for example).
Hi, i actually kinda disagree about the comment about the cheaper headphones. ☺️
When i got my tomtom spark, i actually tried it on 2 BT headphones. 1 was a gift which cost less than 20 bucks and the other was about 50. Both didnt work at all.
I eventually followed the list provided by tomtom and i just got myself a jabra rox sport and it is working perfectly fine now. Was contemplating between jabra and the plantronics and the jabra's 'cheaper' price tag won me over.
Well, you guys heard it from me. Jabra rox sport is good to go!
Oh and by the way, i fully agree with the last comment. I really think tomtom's product development team needs to work harder on this big flaw of the watch.
Hi.
I have the Tomtom Runner2 Cardio + Music, bluetooth headsets that work are Energy Sistem me BT Sport Black 40 €.
I have also MPOW Wolverine bluetooth headphones, but do not work with the sports watch.
A greeting.
I can confirm that the Jam Fusion HX-EP255 do not work properly on the TomTom Runner 2. Difficult to pair and once paired every 5-10 seconds the sound will be cut off for a second. Doesn't matter if on left arm or right arm, even when in very close proximity connection is bad.
Userlevel 2
Speakup wrote:

I can confirm that the Jam Fusion HX-EP255 do not work properly on the TomTom Runner 2. Difficult to pair and once paired every 5-10 seconds the sound will be cut off for a second. Doesn't matter if on left arm or right arm, even when in very close proximity connection is bad.



Could you please also post here, to see if a reliable list could be made from users' experience ?

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/spark-and-runner-2-473/connecting-the-runner-2-to-the-headset-991369

Thanks!

Reply