Home

New software v16.601 available for download in MyDrive Connect

Tags:
update, Rider 400, rider 40, Rider 410, read aloud Traffic messages,

MikkoKMikkoK Author

You can see here how much reputation MikkoK has received from other members.

Staff
Replies: 14077
Expert (Multi-sport)

Expert (Multi-sport)

Expert (Android App)

Expert (Android App)

Expert (iPhone App)

Expert (iPhone App)

Expert (RIDER)

Expert (RIDER)

Expert (Car navigation)

Expert (Car navigation)

Expert (Golfer)

Expert (Golfer)

Expert (Runner)

Expert (Runner)

7 February 2017, 15:19

Hi all,

We've just released a new software v16.601 for Rider 4x0/40 and it's available for download in MyDrive Connect.

What's new?


Read Traffic Messages Aloud


Enabling Settings > Sounds & Warnings > Read aloud traffic warnings will make the device announce all traffic incidents on the users route

Other bug fixes and improvements


  • Traffic and Speed Camera as subscription are now shown on the About Screen
  • This update includes core for the POI improvements* due in the next release, stay tuned.
  • Security improvements
  • Various performance improvements and bug fixes have been implemented.

*Note: Our initial plan was to release the display of Community POIs on the map feature as the main improvement of this software update. As some of the aspects of this improvement are not meeting our expectations of how we want to offer these features to you, we unfortunately had to postpone this improvement until a future software release. We always want to make sure that our improvements are matching your wishes as much as possible and want to make sure your first experience with these new features are as good as we can offer.

Drive safe! :D

Cheers, Mikko
Help others identify useful content: - Did someone answer your question? Click Mark as Solution - Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos button - Need help with your TomTom device? Add details about the TomTom device to your post: Device name, Application- and Map version. Check our support videos at tomtom.com/videosupport
Show first post Hide first post

67 comments

  • Joel S.

    You can see here how much reputation Joel S. has received from other members.

    Renowned Trailblazer
    Replies: 136
    Expert (RIDER)

    Expert (RIDER)

    10 February 2017, 13:36

    S-fury wrote:

    No you can't share that route


    seeing it saves it as a route, and only tracks can be shared.
    thats dumb
  • S-fury

    You can see here how much reputation S-fury has received from other members.

    Legendary Explorer
    Replies: 7

    10 February 2017, 14:41

  • jelle1970

    You can see here how much reputation jelle1970 has received from other members.

    Outstanding Wayfarer
    Replies: 30

    11 February 2017, 14:15

    I just did update the Rider 400. Without any issues.
  • whyhaveone

    You can see here how much reputation whyhaveone has received from other members.

    Legendary Explorer
    Replies: 9

    11 February 2017, 18:15

    jelle1970 wrote:

    I just did update the Rider 400. Without any issues.



    +1
  • 954dk
    Replies: 48

    12 February 2017, 20:42

    After seeing what Tomtom released in the new update iI must say one thing:
    I am SO dissapointed to see, that the issues regarding creating intermediate stops wasn't fixed.
    I don't give a dammed about hoarse Bluetooth voice issues.
    Guidance is far more important.
    Not even the POI handling is solved.

    Whar a bunch of amateurs! :(
  • basix

    You can see here how much reputation basix has received from other members.

    Supreme Navigator
    Replies: 266
    Expert (RIDER)

    Expert (RIDER)

    13 February 2017, 10:48

    954dk, I understand your reaction, but unfortunately calling them names will not help much. Let's just hope they eventually find a way to 'make tomtom great again'.

    For the past 7 months, after that huge screw up of 16.1xx and 16.2xx, they seem to have focused on the underlying stability issues (performance, unresponsiveness, update problems and whatnot), as far as I can say, it looks stable and the way it should have been when the device was released first. Now they can start adding features and correcting other annoyances, the right way, without introducing 50 bugs per added feature.

    I hope to see a 17.100 version end of march/begin april. The long wait might have been because of drastic changes in the development team, but I'll leave the speculation at that.
  • 954dk
    Replies: 48

    13 February 2017, 20:11

    I ment, what I wrote - naming them or not. So don't waste your energy on reprimanting ;-)

    If you think, it's OK charging tge customers 100% for such a faulty product. I must say: I'm impressed... :-)
  • basix

    You can see here how much reputation basix has received from other members.

    Supreme Navigator
    Replies: 266
    Expert (RIDER)

    Expert (RIDER)

    13 February 2017, 21:39

    Actually I'm not here to defend tomtom. I agree with you on the bad software quality and expressed this extensively in many other posts.

    What I'm saying is that this is the first update that hasn't caused millions of side effects and other bugs. You can see that by the number of replies on this thread, either a lot of people gave up on the tomtom and moved on, or they don't have any negative remarks. Or it is because the motor season hasn't started yet.

    The main features now seem to work OK. Next focus should be in no specific order and not limited to:

    - Bluetooth issues being extremely long contact syncing (even with a few contacts), hoarse voice. A few fixes were already proposed by myself (buffering the contacts on the tomtom and only refresh them at request, or intermediary app on the phone which acts as a proxy - details in this thread)
    - POI features
    - a clear compass showing north
    - screen layout improvements
    - pin code/password for unlocking the device (for in case you leave the gps on your motorcycle)
    - constant track recording, with automatic splits configurable per day/hour/power cycle
    - better searching for favorites/pois, now it just looks for searchterm*, it should look for *searchterm* at least, and use fuzzy full text search if possible
    - fix for sharing 'broken' recorded tracks (was this fixed already?), a broken track occurs when you are recording a track, and your device reboots for a reason.
    - update issues - have to disconnect and reconnect USB cable multiple times to allow device to update
    - music playback control on phone (by intermediary app)
    - show selected notifications from phone (by intermediary app)
    - use text to speech features from phone to bypass the hoarse voice issues (by intermediary app)
    - remove all those favorite markers in overview view, I wonder who is interested in seeing 50 favorites at once covering the whole map while riding, just show them when in search mode.
    - show gps satellite signal information
    - other annoyances
    - ...

    When half of this gets implemented, you'll have a totally different device (and a lot of happy customers instead of the now many disgruntled)
  • ThomasGN

    You can see here how much reputation ThomasGN has received from other members.

    Supreme Navigator
    Replies: 302
    Expert (RIDER)

    Expert (RIDER)

    14 February 2017, 08:17

    basix wrote:

    Actually I'm not here to defend tomtom. I agree with you on the bad software quality and expressed this extensively in many other posts.

    What I'm saying is that this is the first update that hasn't caused millions of side effects and other bugs. You can see that by the number of replies on this thread, either a lot of people gave up on the tomtom and moved on, or they don't have any negative remarks. Or it is because the motor season hasn't started yet.

    The main features now seem to work OK. Next focus should be in no specific order and not limited to:

    - Bluetooth issues being extremely long contact syncing (even with a few contacts), hoarse voice. A few fixes were already proposed by myself (buffering the contacts on the tomtom and only refresh them at request, or intermediary app on the phone which acts as a proxy - details in this thread)
    - POI features
    - a clear compass showing north
    - screen layout improvements
    - pin code/password for unlocking the device (for in case you leave the gps on your motorcycle)
    - constant track recording, with automatic splits configurable per day/hour/power cycle
    - better searching for favorites/pois, now it just looks for searchterm*, it should look for *searchterm* at least, and use fuzzy full text search if possible
    - fix for sharing 'broken' recorded tracks (was this fixed already?), a broken track occurs when you are recording a track, and your device reboots for a reason.
    - update issues - have to disconnect and reconnect USB cable multiple times to allow device to update
    - music playback control on phone (by intermediary app)
    - show selected notifications from phone (by intermediary app)
    - use text to speech features from phone to bypass the hoarse voice issues (by intermediary app)
    - remove all those favorite markers in overview view, I wonder who is interested in seeing 50 favorites at once covering the whole map while riding, just show them when in search mode.
    - show gps satellite signal information
    - other annoyances
    - ...

    When half of this gets implemented, you'll have a totally different device (and a lot of happy customers instead of the now many disgruntled)



    I totally agree. Fix these problems and the GPS will be my first choice anytime!
    Gone riding...
  • S-fury

    You can see here how much reputation S-fury has received from other members.

    Legendary Explorer
    Replies: 7

    14 February 2017, 08:22

    And finally fix the thrill ride sharing over Bluetooth, how difficult can it be..??!
  • erichuyn

    You can see here how much reputation erichuyn has received from other members.

    Outstanding Explorer
    Replies: 13

    14 February 2017, 13:07

    And maybe try and do something about the thrill rides penchant for towns/villages.
  • blues38

    You can see here how much reputation blues38 has received from other members.

    Apprentice Traveler
    Replies: 1

    14 February 2017, 16:25

    Too difficult to update. Can't spend all day trying to figure out a simple update. I'm going with my android phone. No more tom-tom if I can't use it.
  • Joel S.

    You can see here how much reputation Joel S. has received from other members.

    Renowned Trailblazer
    Replies: 136
    Expert (RIDER)

    Expert (RIDER)

    15 February 2017, 13:42

    blues38 wrote:

    Too difficult to update. Can't spend all day trying to figure out a simple update. I'm going with my android phone. No more tom-tom if I can't use it.



    super easy update here, no issues and very fast.

    looks like you have a tomtom go ??
    not sure what your issue was because you included no information, computer, usb cable connection to MB or a hub, model , other things that might lead you to getting help. for a first post to say use your phone, not sure what model you have or how long you have had it.
  • Ste7ios

    You can see here how much reputation Ste7ios has received from other members.

    Supreme Navigator
    Replies: 194
    Expert (RIDER)

    Expert (RIDER)

    15 February 2017, 16:45

    It can't be more complex than connecting the device to the computer and then do a click on the screen to update it.

    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6133/~/updating-the-software-on-your-navigation-device-(mydrive-connect)

    Anything else points to a problem, not necessarily TomTom's fault. Welcome to the digital era...
  • Tidus

    You can see here how much reputation Tidus has received from other members.

    Prominent Wayfarer
    Replies: 24

    16 February 2017, 09:14

    Updated my tomtom without issues, well, not more than the normal "don't disconnect the usb connection during update".. it didn't ends during 1 hour without progression, so I disconnected, and connected again and it continued and finished the update.

    a part from that and the greatter size of the settings option, I didn't see any new thing, I will try to activate the comunications to my midland to check the hoar voice or the connections issues if they remain or not..

    I expected better improvements with all the time we were waiting for a new version.. a little more disapointed than previuosly..

    If tomtom were able just to solve the current issues (without adding new functionalities).. will give us the product that we paid for and in the form that it would need to be at the start.. never lossing hope.. but getting angry for waitting...
  • basix

    You can see here how much reputation basix has received from other members.

    Supreme Navigator
    Replies: 266
    Expert (RIDER)

    Expert (RIDER)

    16 February 2017, 23:23

    I am happy to announce that the map update procedure seems to work perfect. Didn't have to disconnect/reconnect the cable even once to get through the update, unlike in earlier versions which took ages to complete and couldn't leave it unattended or it would wait forever. I even was working on the company VPN during the update process, and it didn't do weird things all the time like it used to do.

    As I said earlier, I see this as the official version 1.0 of the rider - the way it should have been at product launch. I'm still hopeful to receive the requested features and get rid of the annoyances.

    Thank you to whomever finally got it to work, and please continue providing quality and feature rich updates for this device.
  • SBDJ

    You can see here how much reputation SBDJ has received from other members.

    Master Explorer
    Replies: 6

    17 February 2017, 03:43

    basix wrote:

    Another feature that had been asked is to use the TTS engine of the Phone instead of the tomtom to fix the hoarse voice issue.

    This is achievable by a programmer very quickly and would not cost tomtom much more than 5 days of work including testing. At the same time, you'd make a lot of users happy.



    I mentioned that idea in the hoarse voice thread. It's very simple for TomTom to implement; in it's simplest form they could literally send an encoded string over UDP to the gateway IP (which when tethered will be the phone). I even said they didn't need to create the app - it's something I'd do myself far quicker ;)

    As it is now I have to choose between voice guidance or live alerts; I can't have both and it's starting to bug me to the point that I'm seriously considering attempting to return the unit and using something else instead. The promised fix hasn't yet materialised. I'm assuming if asked that TomTom support will be happy to support my claim to the retailer that the unit does not function as described so I can get a full refund?
  • basix

    You can see here how much reputation basix has received from other members.

    Supreme Navigator
    Replies: 266
    Expert (RIDER)

    Expert (RIDER)

    17 February 2017, 11:00

    cool idea, but the stuttering of speech BT is probably due to data speed issues. If you use UDP, it will not guarantee the arrival of the packets sent by the tomtom and probably also result in a stuttering/hoarse voice. Using TCP, and just sending the clear text to be spoken out by the phone however would require less bandwidth. How do they do it on the Tomtom VIO?
  • Ste7ios

    You can see here how much reputation Ste7ios has received from other members.

    Supreme Navigator
    Replies: 194
    Expert (RIDER)

    Expert (RIDER)

    17 February 2017, 12:20

    This is an idea but sounds like a workaround and not as a solution.

    One reason to choose a device like that is too be independent from mobile phone especially on long journeys in the countryside where the traffic is not a problem... They shouldn't break that.

    They must solve the problem on the Bluetooth stack side...
  • basix

    You can see here how much reputation basix has received from other members.

    Supreme Navigator
    Replies: 266
    Expert (RIDER)

    Expert (RIDER)

    17 February 2017, 12:43

    I agree, but to me it seems to be low-level hardware/driver issues. As the SoC chip being used in the rider 4xx (qualcomm qca1530 afaik) is probably obsolete by now, they are on their own to develop a fix for this issue. It runs on android 4.x, so on linux kernel 3.0.x, or maybe 3.4.x maximum. As you may or may not know, it is quite difficult to fix drivers if you don't have people who know about lower level hardware programming, or don't have access to information from the SoC manufacturer. It has basically become a deprecated piece of hardware which runs on a no longer supported, quite heavily customised platform. It might also be a hardware issue that just cannot be fixed. Then still they would have to try to make a workaround for the issue - which still is not easy for above mentioned reasons.

    That being said, it is not an excuse for tomtom to release a device as such which doesn't deliver as expected.
  • ThomasGN

    You can see here how much reputation ThomasGN has received from other members.

    Supreme Navigator
    Replies: 302
    Expert (RIDER)

    Expert (RIDER)

    17 February 2017, 14:00

    basix wrote:

    I agree, but to me it seems to be low-level hardware/driver issues. As the SoC chip being used in the rider 4xx (qualcomm qca1530 afaik) is probably obsolete by now, they are on their own to develop a fix for this issue. It runs on android 4.x, so on linux kernel 3.0.x, or maybe 3.4.x maximum. As you may or may not know, it is quite difficult to fix drivers if you don't have people who know about lower level hardware programming, or don't have access to information from the SoC manufacturer. It has basically become a deprecated piece of hardware which runs on a no longer supported, quite heavily customised platform. It might also be a hardware issue that just cannot be fixed. Then still they would have to try to make a workaround for the issue - which still is not easy for above mentioned reasons.

    That being said, it is not an excuse for tomtom to release a device as such which doesn't deliver as expected.



    If you are right, this information qualify for a full refund in EU - even if the devise is more that 2 years old as it is an design error in a devise that is expected to work for more than two years. That could be good news to all of us!

    And to TomTom: Could you please verify basix information? And if true, set up a page for claiming a full return on your web site?
    Gone riding...
  • SBDJ

    You can see here how much reputation SBDJ has received from other members.

    Master Explorer
    Replies: 6

    17 February 2017, 16:10

    basix wrote:

    cool idea, but the stuttering of speech BT is probably due to data speed issues. If you use UDP, it will not guarantee the arrival of the packets sent by the tomtom and probably also result in a stuttering/hoarse voice.



    I mainly chose UDP for ease of their implementation, given how long it takes for them to do anything ;)

    It's a moot point anyway since we all know it'll never happen...
  • robhag

    You can see here how much reputation robhag has received from other members.

    Neophyte Traveler
    Replies: 3

    21 February 2017, 03:22

    Updated a couple of days ago, all was working OK. Then updated my maps for Australia and New Zealand. Now my Rider 400 continuously crashes. Tried soft reboot via On/Off switch, no success, then tried complete factory reset from software, still no joy, continues to crash. Then went into recover mode and patiently waited for the device to have its software re-written. Still not working, seems that there could be a corrupted piece of software somewhere, can anyone help? Current version 16.601.0024.311 (0), and map version 985.8204.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Author

    You can see here how much reputation MikkoK has received from other members.

    Staff
    Replies: 14077
    Expert (Multi-sport)

    Expert (Multi-sport)

    Expert (Android App)

    Expert (Android App)

    Expert (iPhone App)

    Expert (iPhone App)

    Expert (RIDER)

    Expert (RIDER)

    Expert (Car navigation)

    Expert (Car navigation)

    Expert (Golfer)

    Expert (Golfer)

    Expert (Runner)

    Expert (Runner)

    21 February 2017, 10:17

    Hi Rob,

    Welcome to the Community!

    Thanks for reporting this! I've logged this for our technicians to investigate.

    Our logs still show v16.201 as being installed on your device. Please, reset your device by pressing and holding down the power button until you hear a drumming sound (ca 15 sec). Then double check in the About menu which software version is shown.

    I’d also recommend you to double check that you did the recovery mode procedure according to the instructions here [support FAQ - Red X]. Please note, that this will delete your personal information, e.g. My Places and destination prediction data. You can save and restore My Places with MyDrive.

    Could you also tell at which point does your device crash? Does it always happen in the same situation? Do you have a phone connected to your Rider 400? If yes, can you try if removing the pairings helps?

    Thanks, Mikko
    Help others identify useful content: - Did someone answer your question? Click Mark as Solution - Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos button - Need help with your TomTom device? Add details about the TomTom device to your post: Device name, Application- and Map version. Check our support videos at tomtom.com/videosupport
  • robhag

    You can see here how much reputation robhag has received from other members.

    Neophyte Traveler
    Replies: 3

    21 February 2017, 22:32

    Hello Mikko thank you for your reply. I've checked my siftware and since the restoring I am back to version 16.201.2572.311 (0) (27/5/2016), but the map versions are still the latest. I have correctly applied the information for restoring as noted and was successful in returning to the original software. It is connected to a phone but I disconnected it and it still crashes. The unit will work for about 5 minutes and the go blank and the return with a light blue map of the world on the screen. I can still get to the menus and when I go to the map menu it asks to change to a different map but there are no maps noted on the screen it's blank. Also when I connect to MyDrive it says my unit is up to date even with the rollback software version. Please help as I now only have a "brick".
Jump to top

Reply to this post

Uploading in progress:
0%
Browse
Add
If the URL is correct, a preview will appear here. It can take a few minutes for larger images to show.
  • :D
  • :?
  • :cool:
  • :S
  • :(
  • :@
  • :$
  • :8
  • :)
  • :P
  • ;)
View mobile version
Powered by Insided